Search This Blog

Wednesday 04 July, sunny, light SE wind, 32C: With another very warm day ahead of us Bob and I decided to set off at 0730hrs to the Rio Genal to look for Olivaceous Warbler; Bob found a nest there in the Tamarisk recently so I was hopeful of some good views of this tricky bird! It didn't take long before we spotted two adults taking food to the nest where the young looked close to fledging. I missed out on many photo opportunities having left my camera behind in the car but eventually I went back for it and somehow managed to get a half-decent shot from the few attempts I was able to make (see photo)! In all there were at least 3 pairs along a 500m stretch of the river. We also saw many other good species including Short-toed Eagle, Booted Eagle, Griffon Vulture (15+), Common Buzzard, Common Kestrel, Raven, Little Owl (on a ruin on the track), Turtle Dove (10+), Yellow-legged Gull, White Stork, Grey Heron, Purple Heron (Bob only; I was fetching my camera as they flew past!), Squacco Heron, Cattle Egret, Green Sandpiper, Little-ringed Plover (20+), Mallard, Moorhen, Bee-eater, Common Swift, Barn Swallow, Red-rumped Swallow, House Martin, House Sparrow, Rock Sparrow (coming to the river to drink), Woodchat Shrike, White Wagtail, Blackbird, Corn Bunting, Cirl Bunting, Crested Lark, Greenfinch, Serin, Linnet, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Spotted Flycatcher, Sardinian Warbler, Nightingale and Cetti's Warbler. 41 species in a couple of hours - not bad for a July morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment